Le Creuset Recipe: Chicken Pot Pie
Sep 14, 2020 Le Creuset Cookware Recipies
The versatile braiser is the perfect solution for making pies. It can be used as a skillet to brown ingredients and then as a casserole to cook the pie filling when the lid is added. Finally, when you top the filling with pie crust and bake it in the oven, it becomes a pie dish.
For the pie crust:
- 8oz all-purpose flour, plus a little extra for dusting
- 1/2 stick shortening
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2-3 tablespoons water, to mix
- 1 beaten egg, to wash
For the filling:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup peeled and quartered shallots
- 10oz skinless chicken breast, diced
- 2/3 cup hot chicken stock
- 1 cup chantenay baby carrots
- 1 cup baby button mushrooms
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup chopped green beans
- 1 cup frozen peas
- a pinch of crushed sea salt flakes
- To make the pie crust, put the flour, fats, and salt into a bowl. Using your fingertips or a food-processor, work the fat into the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add just enough water to combine and gently work into a smooth dough. Wrap in plastic wrap and rest in a cool place for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- To make the filling, melt the butter in the braiser over a low to medium heat on top of the stove. Sauté the shallots in the butter for 5-6 minutes until lightly browned.
- Add the chicken a few pieces at a time and stir-fry for 3–4 minutes. Stir in the hot stock, carrots, mushrooms, black pepper, and dried herbs. Bring to a simmer before placing on the lid, reduce the heat to low, and cook for 10 minutes.
- Mix the cornstarch with the cream and stir a little at a time into the braiser's contents. Once the sauce has thickened, adjust the seasoning to taste. Stir in the green beans and frozen peas, remove from the heat, and leave to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. To make the pie, roll out the pie-crust dough on a lightly floured board into a circle that is 3/4" larger diameter than the lid of the braiser. Egg wash the rim and outer top edge of the dish. Place the pie crust over the filling overlapping the top of the dish, and gently press down around the edges to seal. Egg wash and make 4 steam holes in the top of the pie crust.
- Sprinkle over the sea salt and bake in the upper part of the oven for 35–40 minutes until the top is golden brown.
- Pie-crust dough can be made in advance and kept for up to 3 days in the refrigerator or frozen for up to 3 months.
- When making the pie-crust top, use the lid of the braiser as a guide by placing it on top of the rolled-out dough and cutting out a circle that is 3/4" larger than the lid.
For more great recipes, check out Le Creuset's cookbook, "The Cast Iron Way to Cook".
Shop our full selection of Le Creuset Enameled Cast Iron Braisers.