Patriotic Pie in a FINEX Skillet
- 1 Package of pre-made pie crust (with 2 crusts)
- 3 C fresh strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 2 C fresh red raspberries
- 2 C fresh blackberries
- 2/3 C sugar, 1/4 C sugar
- 5 Tbsp. cornstarch, 1 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract, 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp of butter
- 1 Egg white
- 2-3 Tbsp. raw sugar
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Wash your fruit. Then, hull and quarter the strawberries. Mix the strawberries, raspberries, 2/3 C of sugar, 5 Tbsp of cornstarch, and 1 Tbsp of vanilla in a bowl. Set aside once it's mixed.
- Mix the blackberries, 1/4 C of sugar, 1 1/2 Tbsp of cornstarch, 1 tsp of vanilla in a bowl. Set aside once it's mixed.
- Unroll one pie crust into the FINEX 10" Cast Iron Skillet
- Fold a piece of aluminum foil into an "L" shape and place it into one corner of your pan. This will end up being the "blue" part of your flag.
- Place the blackberry mixture into the small cornered section of your pan.
- Place the strawberry and red raspberry mixture into the rest of your pan.
- Remove the foil.
- Dot the pie with butter.
- Unroll the second crust onto parchment paper. Using a knife, cut 1/4 of the crust off and set aside. This will be for your stars.
- With the remaining crust, cut approximately 1" strips. Place alternating strips onto the strawberry/red raspberry mixture to create the white stripes.
- Press the edges of your crust together.
- Using a small star-shaped cookie cutter, cut our your stars from the 1/4 piece you saved earlier. Place the stars on top of your blackberry mixture.
- Dress up the edge of your pie crust with the remaining strips by twisting and putting them on top of the edge. (If you have more crust, you can add a braid, or cut our more stars)
- Brush the egg wash onto the crust. Then sprinkle the crust with raw sugar.
- Bake for 40-45 Minutes
- Let it cool for 2 hours before serving.
Now it's time to gather around the table and serve this delicious dessert for your next patriotic-themed gathering. A slice of pie served with ice cream is not required, but it is highly recommended! Happy baking!
FINEX Cast Iron Cookware is handmade in Portland, Oregon to ensure high-quality cookware. Their founder, Mike Whitehead, was inspired by the timeless craft of antique American cast iron. FINEX pans combine the traditional cast iron with a modern touch. Their products are constructed to last for generations.